The benefits of full-dose psychedelics
The challenges of full-dose psychedelics
The present study
Grounded theory method
Design and questionnaires
Microdosing benefits and challenges (MDBCs)
Improved health behaviours and reduced consumption
Empirical codebook: benefits of microdosing
Categories of benefit
Empirical codebook: challenges of microdosing
Categories of challenges
Benefits and challenges by microdosing substance
Improvements and reductions Discussion
Emergent parallelism Unique outcomes
Improvements and reductions
Limitations and future directions
Availability of data and materials
- Pollan M. The trip treatment. 2015 [cited 2018 Nov 16]; Available from: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/09/trip-treatment
- Pollan M. How to change your mind: what the new science of psychedelics teaches us about consciousness, dying, addiction, depression, and transcendence: Penguin; 2018. p. 558.
- Leonard A. How LSD microdosing became the hot new business trip. Rolling Stone. 2015 [cited 2018 Jul 9]. Available from: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/how-lsd-microdosing-became-the-hot-new-business-trip-64961/
- Solon O. Under pressure, Silicon Valley workers turn to LSD microdosing. Wired UK. 2016 [cited 2018 Jul 9]; Available from: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/lsd-microdosing-drugs-silicon-valley
- Anderson T, Petranker R. “Microdosers” of LSD and magic mushrooms are wiser and more creative. The Conversation. 2018 [cited 2018 Nov 14]. Available from: http://theconversation.com/microdosers-of-lsd-and-magic-mushrooms-are-wiser-and-more-creative-101302
- Eligh B. Rethinking psychedelics: U of T study looks at the practice of microdosing to ease anxiety and sharpen focus. University of Toronto News. 2018 [cited 2018 Aug 29]; Available from: https://www.utoronto.ca/news/rethinking-psychedlics-u-t-study-looks-practice-microdosing-ease-anxiety-and-sharpen-focus
- Ghosh I. How and why people “microdose” tiny hits of psychedelic drugs. CBC. 2018 [cited 2018 Aug 29]; Available from: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/microdosing-pschedelics-study-1.4771647
- Anderson T, Petranker R, Rosenbaum D, Weissman CR, Dinh-Williams L-A, Hui K, et al. Microdosing psychedelics: personality, mental health, and creativity differences in microdosers. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2019 [cited 2019 Jan 2]; Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00213-018-5106-2
- Johnstad PG. Powerful substances in tiny amounts: an interview study of psychedelic microdosing. Nord Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2018;35(1):39–51.
- Polito V, Stevenson D. A systematic study of microdosing psychedelics. PsyArXiv. 2018 [cited 2018 Jul 5]; Available from: https://psyarxiv.com/cw9qs/
- Prochazkova L, Lippelt DP, Colzato LS, Kuchar M, Sjoerds Z, Hommel B. Exploring the effect of microdosing psychedelics on creativity in an open-label natural setting. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2018 [cited 2018 Oct 25]; Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00213-018-5049-7
- Grinspoon L, & Bakalar JB. Psychedelic drugs reconsidered. New York: Basic Books. 1979;221–223.
- United Nations. The International Drug Control Conventions. 2013;10.
- Krebs TS, Johansen P-Ø. Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) for alcoholism: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Psychopharmacol (Oxf). 2012;26(7):994–1002.
- Johnson MW, Garcia-Romeu A, Cosimano MP, Griffiths RR. Pilot study of the 5-HT2AR agonist psilocybin in the treatment of tobacco addiction. J Psychopharmacol Oxf Engl. 2014;28(11):983–92.
- Bogenschutz MP, Forcehimes AA, Pommy JA, Wilcox CE, Barbosa PCR, Strassman RJ. Psilocybin-assisted treatment for alcohol dependence: a proof-of-concept study. J Psychopharmacol Oxf Engl. 2015;29(3):289–99.
- Noorani T, Garcia-Romeu A, Swift TC, Griffiths RR, Johnson MW. Psychedelic therapy for smoking cessation: qualitative analysis of participant accounts. J Psychopharmacol (Oxf). 2018;32(7):756–69.
- Rucker JJ, Jelen LA, Flynn S, Frowde KD, Young AH. Psychedelics in the treatment of unipolar mood disorders: a systematic review. J Psychopharmacol (Oxf). 2016;30(12):1220–9.
- Carhart-Harris RL, Bolstridge M, Day CMJ, Rucker J, Watts R, Erritzoe DE, et al. Psilocybin with psychological support for treatment-resistant depression: six-month follow-up. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2018;235(2):399–408.
- Griffiths RR, Johnson MW, Carducci MA, Umbricht A, Richards WA, Richards BD, et al. Psilocybin produces substantial and sustained decreases in depression and anxiety in patients with life-threatening cancer: a randomized double-blind trial. J Psychopharmacol Oxf Engl. 2016;30(12):1181–97.
- Ross S, Bossis A, Guss J, Agin-Liebes G, Malone T, Cohen B, et al. Rapid and sustained symptom reduction following psilocybin treatment for anxiety and depression in patients with life-threatening cancer: a randomized controlled trial. J Psychopharmacol Oxf Engl. 2016;30(12):1165–80.
- Reiche S, Hermle L, Gutwinski S, Jungaberle H, Gasser P, Majić T. Serotonergic hallucinogens in the treatment of anxiety and depression in patients suffering from a life-threatening disease: a systematic review. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2018;81:1–10.
- Mithoefer MC, Mithoefer AT, Feduccia AA, Jerome L, Wagner M, Wymer J, et al. 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-assisted psychotherapy for post-traumatic stress disorder in military veterans, firefighters, and police officers: a randomised, double-blind, dose-response, phase 2 clinical trial. Lancet Psychiatry. 2018;5(6):486–97.
- MacLean KA, Johnson MW, Griffiths RR. Mystical experiences occasioned by the hallucinogen psilocybin lead to increases in the personality domain of openness. J Psychopharmacol Oxf Engl. 2011;25(11):1453–61.
- Griffiths RR, Johnson MW, Richards WA, Richards BD, McCann U, Jesse R. Psilocybin occasioned mystical-type experiences: immediate and persisting dose-related effects. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011;218(4):649–65.
- Liechti ME. Modern Clinical Research on LSD. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017;42:2114.
- Hendricks PS. Awe: a putative mechanism underlying the effects of classic psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2018;30(4):331–42.
- Halpern JH, Pope HG. Do hallucinogens cause residual neuropsychological toxicity? Drug Alcohol Depend. 1999;53(3):247–56.
- van Amsterdam J, Opperhuizen A, van den Brink W. Harm potential of magic mushroom use: a review. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2011;59(3):423–9.
- Johnson MW, Griffiths RR, Hendricks PS, Henningfield JE. The abuse potential of medical psilocybin according to the 8 factors of the Controlled Substances Act. Neuropharmacology. 2018;142:143–66.
- Johnson MW, Richards WA, Griffiths RR. Human hallucinogen research: guidelines for safety. J Psychopharmacol Oxf Engl. 2008;22(6):603–20.
- Carbonaro TM, Bradstreet MP, Barrett FS, MacLean KA, Jesse R, Johnson MW, et al. Survey study of challenging experiences after ingesting psilocybin mushrooms: acute and enduring positive and negative consequences. J Psychopharmacol (Oxf). 2016;30(12):1268–78.
- Johnson MW, Sewell RA, Griffiths RR. Psilocybin dose-dependently causes delayed, transient headaches in healthy volunteers. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012;123(1–3):132–40.
- Corbin JM. Grounded theory. J Posit Psychol. 2017;12(3):301–2.
- Corbin JM, Strauss A. Grounded theory research: procedures, canons, and evaluative criteria. Qual Sociol. 1990;13(1):3–21.
- Stol K, Ralph DP, FitzGerald B. Grounded theory in software engineering research: a critical review and guidelines. In 2016 [cited 2017 Mar 30]. Available from: https://researchspace.auckland.ac.nz/handle/2292/29124
- Anderson T, Petranker R, Dinh-Williams L-A. An empirical codebook of microdosing benefits and challenges [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2018 Dec 20]. Available from: https://osf.io/qwu4s/
- Peer E, Brandimarte L, Samat S, Acquisti A. Beyond the Turk: alternative platforms for crowdsourcing behavioral research. J Exp Soc Psychol. 2017;70:153–63.
- Sattelberg W. The demographics of Reddit: who uses the site?. Tech Junkie. 2018 [cited 2018 Aug 22]. Available from: https://www.techjunkie.com/demographics-reddit/
- Anderson T. Reddit user “oredna”, Thomas Anderson, PhD Student. reddit. 2017 [cited 2018 Sep 9]. Available from: https://www.reddit.com/user/oredna/
- Anderson T, Petranker R, Dinh-Williams L-A. Demography of microdosing community survey. Open Science Framework. 2017 [cited 2018 Jul 6]. Available from: https://osf.io/g5cwy/
- Matejka J, Glueck M, Grossman T, Fitzmaurice G. The effect of visual appearance on the performance of continuous sliders and visual analogue scales. In: Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. New York: ACM; 2016. p. 5421–5432. (CHI ’16). [cited 2017 Jun 13] Available from: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2858036.2858063
- National Library of Medicine (US). Genetics home reference. HTR2A gene. 2018 [cited 2018 Nov 15]. Available from: https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/HTR2A
- Barrett FS, Johnson MW, Griffiths RR. Neuroticism is associated with challenging experiences with psilocybin mushrooms. Personal Individ Differ. 2017;117:155–60.
- Hamilton JP, Farmer M, Fogelman P, Gotlib IH. Depressive rumination, the default-mode network, and the dark matter of clinical neuroscience. Biol Psychiatry. 2015;78(4):224–30.
- Bowyer SM. Coherence a measure of the brain networks: past and present. Neuropsychiatr Electrophysiol. 2016;2(1):1.
- Decker S, Fillmore PT, Roberts A. Coherence: The measurement and application of brain connectivity. NeuroRegulation. 2017;4(1):3.
- Harman WW, McKim RH, Mogar RE, Fadiman J, Stolaroff MJ. Psychedelic agents in creative problem-solving: a pilot study. Psychol Rep. 1966;19(1):211–27.
- Lin W-L, Hsu K-Y, Chen H-C, Chang W. Different attentional traits, different creativities. Think Ski Creat. 2013;9:96–106.
- Webb ME, Little DR, Cropper SJ. Insight is not in the problem: investigating insight in problem solving across task types. Front Psychol. 2016 [cited 2018 Jun 2];7. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5035735/
- UNODC. Final act of the United Nations conference for the adoption of a protocol on psychotropic substances. In: The International Drug Control Conventions. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime; 2013. p. 71–75. [cited 2018 Aug 9] Available from: http://www.un-ilibrary.org/drugs-crime-and-terrorism/the-international-drug-control-conventions_814e78a6-en
- Taylor H. Hit men, drugs and malicious teens: the darknet is going mainstream. CNBC. 2016 [cited 2018 Aug 9]; Available from: https://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/18/hit-men-drugs-and-malicious-teens-the-darknet-is-going-mainstream.html
- Nutt DJ, King LA, Phillips LD. Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis. Lancet. 2010;376(9752):1558–65.
- Rucker JJH. Psychedelic drugs should be legally reclassified so that researchers can investigate their therapeutic potential. BMJ. 2015;350:h2902.
- Johnson MW, Garcia-Romeu A, Griffiths RR. Long-term follow-up of psilocybin-facilitated smoking cessation. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2017;43(1):55–60.