Monday, January 28, 2013

Stronghold Haywire Klamper Review





If you grew up with a roll of baling wire to hand as I did, you will really appreciate this tool. It allows proper tension to be applied consistently.

I personally depended on it for almost all temporary repairs or rigging of any kind. Having an actual tool besides my hammer claw and pliers is clearly welcome.

For the uninitiated, baling wire is strong yet soft enough to do almost anything except stand up forever. It will rust out rather quickly if exposed and only slower if protected. Yet it is ideal for all temporary solutions. The hammer shown in the video is a perfect example. A repair like that is likely to keep that hammer in service for years even if it is 'temporary'. I feel right at home. No need to pick up a new hammer without the right feel.



Gear Review: The Stronghold Haywire Klamper by Jackson

http://pantryparatus.com/blog/klamper/

I received this interesting little tool after Wilson contacted me about this product.  He was looking for someone to test it out for functionality, durability, usefulness and uses.  I never buy a tool or an item unless I can come up with multiple uses for it.  Granted I do have tools that only have one use but not every tool can be used for multiple tasks.  This little Haywire Klamper is one that has untold amounts of useful applications. 

I received the Haywire Klamper in the mail and excitedly pulled it out of the plastic bag and all I could do was gaze at it. I then said out loud, “What in the world is this thing?”  As I moved it between my hands turning it over and over trying to figure out how it was used my smarter side walked up and grabbed the instructions and began to read.  She quickly showed me how it was supposed to go.  If only I would have looked at the instructions I would have seen the pictures showing its proper use.  I like having pictures as that is the kind of guy I am.

The instructions are extremely clear and easy to understand, even for a simple guy like myself.  As mentioned though the pictures help for those more inclined towards that method of learning.  The instructions also include proper lengths of wire needed for the size of clamp you are making.  I pulled the rest of the items out of the bag which included a roll of 14 gauge wire and a pre-made 5/8 double strength clamp. 

Here is the tool itself.

Of course next on the agenda was to find my first klamping victim.  I grabbed my wooden hammer to just see how the tool worked.  It does not take a lot of force to tighten down the wire as I discovered as it sunk deeply into the wood.  Twisting the handle is very easy and you do not encounter a lot of resistance while doing it, yet the klamp is extremely tight, but with just the lifting of the wire ends the klamp becomes loose and can be removed. 

 The first step is to cut your wire to the proper length.  The instructions give you the length of wire needed for klamping ¾ inch all the way to 4 inch hose.  Here we are experimenting with klamping two metal pipes together.  Form a loop in your cut wire.

Now rotate the wire in a “x” pattern around the metal bars.

You can see the loop just sticking over the metal bars.

Insert your free ends into the loop and connect the Haywire Klamper.

Begin tightening by rotating the handle until it is as tight as you need it and then rotate the klamper (by pivoting on the notch) off of the wire and trim the ends. 

The final product should look something like this.

 It takes a little practice but once you have the hang of it, it proceeds very quickly and easy. 

I took this over to a friend who does a lot of work on cars and motorcycles.  He absolutely loved it because of all the clamping he does and the cost of wire versus buying clamps.  He attempted to distract me and get me to forget the tool as I was leaving.  No such luck.  

I also took it out to my uncle’s farm.  Showed it to him and he was amazed that he hadn’t thought of it first.  (Things tend to work that way.)   But he used it to mend one of his fences, lashed a bale of hay and banded a bundle of wood with a little loop on the free end side to be able to carry a lot easier. 

The applications for this tool are only limited by your imagination.  I am going to experiment with building a shelter in the woods and continue to look for “outside of the box” ideas.  This is a definite for your shop, emergency kit or bug out bag, its light, durable and extremely handy. 

Remember, hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and keep looking up as our redemption draws near.

Jackson
Pantry Paratus Gear Reviewer

No comments: