This is important as it represents only the third such facility in North America and certainly in the major market. It will succeed in making Toronto a tourist destination for the entire North East USA market.
Considering that Greater Toronto now exceeds Chicago and compares to the other two mega centers of New York and L.A. this was a natural fit. Yet it was hardly predestined. Choice land existed kept out by of the urban land bank by decades of decisions ultimately looking for a best fit.
Rapid rail travel between Toronto and Chicago and Montreal was always obvious and this may help it come about. Toronto's burgeoning ascendancy matters here to overcome natural jealousies. The area also needs fast links from TO to New York as well through Buffalo and another fast link from Montreal to New York. The Great Lakes States and Provinces have long learned to cooperate with each other and little could be as rewarding than making such a system work.
One of the great Geographical markets in the world is the Great Lakes Codominion or GLC. It happens to also be the best test for the global elimination of poverty and establishing universal sustainable agriculture while cleaning up past environmental errors.
Disney announces massive $6.5-billion Disneyland Resort for Toronto Islands
There will also be hotels on the island, next to Disneyland, and improved transportation links between the island and downtown.
- $65 million for landscaping and other public realm improvements.
- $250 million for flood prevention and mitigation projects on the islands, including new perimeter flood dikes that blend in with the natural landscape, elevating vulnerable areas by up to two metres, and new water pumps. Toronto Islands will be able to withstand a 1 in 1,000-year flood event following these improvements.
- $50 million for new and improved outdoor recreational facilities, including $20 million to improve waterways and facilities for rowing, canoe, and kayak sports.
- $10 million for new pay-to-use recreational facilities and equipment, such as bike rentals, beach chairs,
- Most of Centreville Amusement Park will close for its conversion into a $100-million dining hub with five new restaurants and a live entertainment area. Only the vintage carousel, antique windmill ferris wheel, Far Enough Farm petting zoo, and the newly built aerial gondola will remain.
- 1,000 car parking lot at Stadium Road Lot at 12-34 Little Norway Crescent
- A new six-storey underground parking lot with 4,000 stalls at the current site of Little Norway Park, with new green spaces and playing fields built above the park.
- A new five-storey parking lot at Lot A (Gore Lot) of Exhibition Place with 6,000 stalls.
- Cast member-only parking facilities will be built elsewhere at yet-to-be determined locations, with cast members shuttled to the pedestrian tunnel.