Insights Search

Friday, August 28, 2026

The curious case of cloud pulsing and plume exhalation






Observing what is happening in our sky is a challenge and it must be complex.  Here our observers reports on a duration that announced real shifts from rising transpiration.

I was shocked years ago to learn just how much water is put into tge atmosphere by a tree.  To understatnading that the amazon is a rotating hydraulic cycle that stores an ocean n the amazon and cutting it down can only produce a desert.

And i do think that the Sahara can become a full on rainforest.  WITH LITTLE EFFORT FOLKS.

and te rainshadow alone can wet the whole middle east.

The curious case of cloud pulsing and plume exhalation


Aug 26


I rode up to a mountain top where I could see a panoramic 360 view of the hills and the sea of multi-shaded clouds spread across the humid valley that was partly enclosed by hills. I noted a cloud that looked like it might be forming from the transpiration of the tropical forests.



Then awhile later, as I sat in the hot humid air, I saw what looked like a wide column that extended from the forest into the cloud (pic below). This was not a hovering cloud, but a set of vertical pathways from hill to cloud. Was that transpiration going up or rain coming down? Or both?



It evolved in shape - a while later it was like a column or plume..



Then that column disappeared, and I was just watching the clouds roll over the mountain. I’ve been lately doing more analyzing of the small water cycle from satellite data generated by others, looking for interesting patterns. It would be cool, I thought to do some more observational research to see what phenomena I might stumble upon. So I sat there much longer than I normally would - watching the clouds.



As I continued to munch on some exotically marine flavored snacks, nothing happened for awhile. Then another cloud popped up in between the forest and the higher clouds above. Then it disappeared, I think blowing up the slope to join clouds again. I watched the landscape for awhile. And then another cloud again formed before my eyes between the higher clouds and the forests.



This didn’t fit my existing ideas how things worked. I had imagined that the trees transpire and create clouds above them. But I hadn’t thought there cloud pulsing effect. It seemed every once in awhile, a cloud suddenly emerge into form.

My guess as to what was happening is that the forest is putting out a lot of moisture, and there is also humidity fluctuations. And just when there are places where the relative humidity goes over 100% then some of the water will condense. They start growing in size, and then turbulence in the air blows them around, so they can run into other growing droplets and get much bigger, enough to then be stable. At smaller sizes, they can evaporate again. And so this bumping around causes a local area to have suddenly a lot of condensed water vapor, while around that the water vapor is still in vapor form.

I am curious has anyone run across a description of this ‘transpirational cloud pulsing’ phenomenon before.? Has anyone else seen it? Have scientists studied it?

I watched longer, and I then began to realize that it looked like the transpirational clouds would move upwards, and get spread out in front of the mountain. It looked in fact as if this transpiration would over time form these plumes, that would then spread out into the clouds before me. It looked like how smoke from a forest fire gets blown up into air and then the wind spreads it out into this wide expanse of smoke. Is that cloud that takes up most of the picture below, have a really large part coming from that plume arising from the forest. It was moving slowly enough, that it might be made up of a hundred transpirational pulses.



When I scanned mountains further away in another direction, it seemed that maybe that is what was happening, although I couldn’t be sure. It looked like the forests were exhaling a transpiration plumes that would turn into clouds spread out. In the picture below, it seems the whiter clouds just above the mountains are coming from the exhalation. The diagonal slant of the clouds might be the wind spreading out that plume.



Curious if any readers have interpretations of what I saw. And also has anyone else noticed these transpirational plumes, when looking at forests and mountains in your area, and whether they then turn into an expanse of clouds?

No comments: