As usual it will miss us. As well, the technology will exist to move it about by then anyway if the threat is significant.
- Asteroid 1950 DA has a 0.3 per cent chance of hitting Earth in 867 years
- A possible impact date for 1950 DA is on 16 March, 2880, scientists say
- If it hits, it would do so with a force of 44,800 megatonnes of TNT
- But scientists say there is no cause for concern as the risk is low
- Asteroid's body defies gravity due to forces known as van Der Waals
- These forces have never been spotted on an asteroid before
- Scientists say they are now closer to finding out how to stop the rock