Chronic back pain and many other conditions add up as we all get older. The take home is that DHA is been best supplied by squid oil and krill oil and in a form that penetrates the nervous system and even the brain.
Thus we have a helpful protocol to add to our war chest.
Increase dosage over two weeks until the issue resolves or until it is plainly not going to work.
October 23, 2014
- Reduced spinal cord inflammation
- Reduced tissue injury
- Stopped production of pro-inflammatory cytokines
- lowered nitrotyrosine formation (a marker of cell damage and inflammation)
- Prevented cell death
- Improved recovery of limb function
- Lowered oxidative stress on nerve cells
- Helped restart nerve cell growth.
Al Sears, MD
2. Schmidt E. "Curry spice, omega-3 fatty acid preserve walking ability following spinal-cord injury." UCLA Newsroon. ucla.edu. June 26, 2012.
3. Hall J, et. al. "Docosahexaenoic acid, but not eicosapentaenoic acid, reduces the early inflammatory response following compression spinal cord injury in the rat." J Neurochemistry, 2012;Volume 121, Issue 5, pages 738–750.
4. Javierre C, Vidal J, Segura R, Lizarraga M, Medina J, Ventura J. "The effect of supplementation with n-3 fatty acids on the physical performance in subjects with spinal cord injury." J Physiol Biochem. 2006;62(4):271-9.
5. Depner C, Philbrick K, Jump D. "Docosahexaenoic acid attenuates hepatic inflammation, oxidative stress, and fibrosis without decreasing hepatosteatosis in a Ldlr(-/-) mouse model of western diet-induced nonalcoholic steatohepatitis." J Nutr. 2013;143(3):315-23.
6. Orr S, Palumbo S, Bosetti F, Mount H, Kang J, Greenwood C, Ma D, Serhan C, Bazinet R. "Unesterified docosahexaenoic acid is protective in neuroinflammation." J Neurochem. 2013;127(3):378-93.
7. DiLorenzo F, Drager C, Rankin J. "Docosahexaenoic Acid affects markers of inflammation and muscle damage after eccentric exercise." J Strength Cond Res. 2014;28(10):2768-74.
8. Olson M, Liu Y, Dangi B, Paul Zimmer J, Salem N, Nauroth J. "Docosahexaenoic acid reduces inflammation and joint destruction in mice with collagen-induced arthritis." Inflamm Res. 2013;62(12):1003-13.
9. Schuchardt J, et. al. “Incorporation of EPA and DHA into plasma phospholipids in response to different omega-3 fatty acid formulations - a comparative bioavailability study of fish oil vs. krill oil.” Lip H and Dis. 2011; 10: 145.
10. Hwang L, Liang J. "Fractionation of urea-pretreated squid visceral oil ethyl esters." Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 2001, Volume 78, Issue 5, pp 473-476.