To test the effects of hemp seed oil on the clinical symptoms of atopic dermatitis, Finnish researchers performed a randomized, controlled crossover trial wherein participants ingested either 2 tbsp of hemp seed oil or olive oil daily for eight weeks, followed by four weeks of no treatment. Participants then switched to the opposite treatment for another eight weeks. Subjects were instructed to maintain their normal diet and avoid skin creams.
During the hemp seed oil phase, participants experienced a statistically significant decrease in skin dryness of 29.4% and skin itchiness of 39%, whereas no significant changes were seen during the olive oil phase. These positive changes in skin quality are believed to be related to the beneficial improvements in subjects’ plasma fatty acid profiles.
- Blend 1 tablespoon of hempseed oil into smoothies
- Sprinkle the seed over cereal, oatmeal and yogurt
- Mix whole seeds into baked goods like muffins, bread, granola bars and cookies
- Substitute hempseed for pine nuts in your favorite pesto recipe
- After cooking, drizzle oil over pasta, grains and soups
- Use as a replacement for butter on toast