Thursday, October 9, 2014

Navy SEAL shot 27 times


Navy SEAL Mike Day 2



This remarkable story underlines the profound effectiveness of modern body armor.  He absorbed a hail of gunfire that would have chewed him up and continued to press the attack to completion before seeking medical assistance.  Effectively, it takes a head shot to stop the modern soldier which is always difficult to do in combat conditions when you are hardly taking aimed shots.  It is why so many are coming back as compared to the Second War or even Vietnam.  


The survivable injuries tend to be worse though and plenty of PTSD to deal with in which a concussed brain has sustained small tear damage.  Yet what is true is that the proportion of KIA is way down and that is for the better.  Modern science is learning to pull off miracles in restoration technology and medicine and can only get better.


This is one who came home.


Navy SEAL shot 27 times by four al-Qaida leaders tells miraculous story: ‘God, get me home to my girls’


September 22, 2014 by Cheryl Carpenter Klimek


http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/09/22/navy-seal-shot-27-times-by-four-al-qaida-leaders-tells-miraculous-story-god-get-me-home-to-my-girls-147237



In what can only be described as divine intervention, Navy SEAL Sr. Chief Mike Day is still around to tell the story of how he was shot 27 times and lived to walk away after the fight.

Day explained to CBN News how he was the first to enter a room in Iraq’s Anbar Province in April 2007, coming face-to-face with four al-Qaida terrorists.

“Upon entering that doorway, they all just opened up on me,” he said. “It felt like somebody was just beating me up with sledge hammers.”

His body armor performed above expectations, Day said.

“They advertise that it can take one round, and then it falls apart to the point where they say that it’s not supposed to stop anymore projectiles,” he said. “And this whole gunfight was inside of 10 feet,”

Any one of the rounds could have killed him, he said, adding that he shouldn’t have survived.

“After I’d figured out I was getting shot I said, ‘God, get me home to my girls.’ That was my first prayer to God, real prayer.”

Day fought back tears, “He answered it.”

Miraculously, Day took out the terrorists – who had previously shot down two helicopters killing everyone on board – cleared the rest of the house and walked himself to the medevac helicopter.

“People hear about my story and they can’t believe it. I was there and I can’t believe it,” he said. “I got shot 27 times — 16 in the body and 11 times in my body armor. I was shot in both legs, both arms, my abdomen. You throw a finger on me, anything but my head, I got shot there.”

Day spent nearly two years recovering from his injuries and was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injury. He now advocates for wounded warriors and raises funds for treatment programs at the Carrick Brain Centers in Texas.

“It’s like $1,500 a day, this place,” he said. “A lot of people can’t afford that, especially without insurance. And Carrick’s a great group of people; they’re going to usher in a new world of medicine with the brain, along with a lot of these other brain treatment centers.”

With a goal of raising $75,000, Day will be going above and beyond once again, participating in a half Ironman triathlon – more than 70 miles of swimming, biking, and running.

He believes God sent him back to help his wounded brothers and sisters. And he’s doing just that.



No comments: