Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Netanyahu Warns of Prolonged Conflict in Gaza

 Relatives of Palestinian man Hussien Abu al-Naja, whom medics said was killed in an Israeli air strike, mourn during his funeral on the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2014. (IBRAHEEM ABU MUSTAFA/REUTERS)

 

 I do not think that anyone really gets it.  The door is now open for Israel to settle its Gaza problem permanently.  That requires a nasty war in which every remaining shred of organized resistance is rooted out and yes those tunnels are all blown in.

There will be no intervention by anyone, including the USA.  Everyone else either cannot intervene or see the benefit of not.  Once settled Gaza will have an independent government that is acceptable to Israel.  If Israel appoints a governor to makes sure of this, then that will likely be his only task.

The payoff for the West Bank is that they can get on with making their own arrangements without the extremists in their face.  Better solutions then become possible and plausible.

I also expect Southern Lebanon  to see the way the winds are blowing and make their own deals as well.  In short, the Great Conflict is almost over and requires only a generation of healing.


Netanyahu warns of prolonged conflict in Gaza 

JERUSALEM — Reuters and The Associated Press

Published Monday, Jul. 28 2014

 http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/renewed-air-strikes-in-gaza-break-holiday-lull-in-fighting/article19800935/


Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday his country must prepare for a long conflict in the Gaza Strip, squashing any hopes of a swift end to fighting that has already cost more than 1,000 lives.

In a televised address, a grim-faced Netanyahu said that any solution to the crisis would require the demilitarisation of the Palestinian territory, which is controlled by Hamas Islamists and their militant allies.


“We will not finish the mission, we will not finish the operation without neutralizing the tunnels, which have the sole purpose of destroying our citizens, killing our children,” Netanyahu said, adding that it had been a “painful day”.

More than 1,000 Gazans, most of them civilians, have died in the three-week-old conflict. Israel has lost 52 soldiers to Gaza fighting and another three civilians have been killed by Palestinian shelling.

FIGHTING CONTINUES

Hamas and Israel blamed each other for an explosion at a Gaza park Monday that killed at least 10 Palestinians — including nine children playing on a swing — in a horrific scene that underscored the heavy price civilians are paying in the conflict.

Israel’s military said rockets misfired by Gaza militants were responsible, while Gaza officials blamed Israeli airstrikes.

The blast took place on the first day of Eid al-Fitr, a Muslim holiday that marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan.

Earlier, the Israeli army said Palestinian fighters had slipped across the border from the Gaza Strip, with media reporting casualties in an ensuing gunbattle.

Israel says four soldiers were killed in a mortar attack earlier Monday. It says another five soldiers were killed in combat in Gaza.
\
Israel’s military said it struck two rocket launchers and a rocket manufacturing facility in central and northern Gaza after a rocket hit southern Israel earlier in the day. The rocket caused no damage or injuries.

Amid a slowdown in the fighting, rescue teams uncovered five bodies in a village east of Khan Younis, said Saed al-Saoudi, the commander of the Civil Defence in Gaza. Earlier Monday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said it deployed 15 ambulances to the area to search for bodies amid the rubble.

The Israeli military also said it dropped leaflets over Gaza City on Monday afternoon, warning Palestinian residents in the coastal strip that Israel “will not tolerate any attempt to harm Israeli civilians, and the consequences will be severe.”

INTERNATIONAL ATTENTION

In New York, an emergency meeting of the U.N Security Council called for “an immediate and unconditional humanitarian ceasefire.” And while it was the council’s strongest statement yet on the Gaza war, it was not a resolution and therefore not binding.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon, according to a statement from his office, in which he voiced his dismay with the announcement. “It does not include a response to Israel’s security needs and the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip,” he said.

Palestinian UN ambassador Riyad Mansour also did not hide his disappointment.

He said the council should have adopted a strong and legally binding resolution a long time ago demanding an immediate halt to Israel’s “aggression,” providing the Palestinian people with protection and lifting the siege in the Gaza Strip so goods and people can move freely.

“You cannot keep 1.8 million Palestinian civilians in the Gaza Strip in this huge prison,” Mansour told reporters. “That is a recipe for disaster. It is inhumane, and it has to be stopped and it has to be lifted.”

Israeli U.N ambassador Ron Prosor also criticized the statement, though from a very different perspective: He said it lacked balance because it didn’t mention Hamas, the firing of rockets into Israel or Israel’s right to defend itself.

The Security Council’s presidential statement called on Israel and Hamas “to engage in efforts to achieve a durable and fully respected cease-fire, based on the Egyptian initiative.”

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget